Zyppah Rx Mouthpiece Review – A Step Above Competitors
- Type: Jaw repositioning mouthpiece
- Clinical studies: No
- FDA approved: Yes
- Price: $79.95
- Money Back: Yes, 30 days
Both jaw and tongue position have the potential to cause a snoring problem and the Zyppah RX mouthpiece attempts to tackle them both. Like other jaw retaining anti-snoring devices the Zyppah repositions the jaw by moving it forward.
Unlike all the other devices in this category the Zyppah RX has a built in feature aimed at keeping the tongue from slipping backwards.
It is well understood that the whole group of jaw repositioning appliances are limited by the fact they deal with only one cause of snoring.
Recognizing that there are limits on how far you can push the jaw (literally), the inventor and dental professional, Dr. Greenburg, decided to design something that also dealt with tongue position. This fact makes his device stand out, so let’s have a closer look at the Zyppah RX.
Like other jaw retainers, the Zyppah fits right into the mouth cavity and is worn over upper and lower teeth. Once you insert the device and place your lower teeth into the lower tray of the Zyppah your jaw will be moved into the common forward position.
There is an elastic band built right across the bottom of this same lower tray. It is in this location, so that it will stretch right over your tongue. Once your teeth are in place this stretchy band presses down on your tongue and keeps it from slipping backward once you are relaxed and sleeping. Does it work?
- The jaw repositioning definitely works as intended and once the jaw moves forward the airway is enlarged. Whether it has been enlarged enough to stop snoring will depend on each individual’s physiology.
- The elastic band across the tongue also works as intended and does keep the tongue from slipping backwards.
- While the elastic band does keep the tongue from slipping backwards it doesn’t work to move the tongue forward. For many people this is necessary to stop snoring when the tongue is the problem.
Like some of the other jaw retaining devices the Zyppah RX arrives ready for you to customize the way in which it fits over your teeth. This is accomplished by a fairly easy procedure.
The device is placed in boiling water which softens its material. It is then placed in the mouth and once you bite down on it, it will take the shape of your teeth. It’s not a difficult process and once customized in this way, the Zyppah has a better chance of staying put all night.
Just be sure to follow the instructions exactly. Accurate timing is very important for more than one reason. You want the device soft enough to make a good impression and you don’t want to burn your mouth!
Comfort in the mouth
How comfortable an anti-snoring device is when in the mouth is always a big concern for someone who snores. How does the Zyppah measure up as far as comfort goes?
- The material of the Zyppah RX has a nice soft feel to it which is something your mouth will appreciate. The fact that it can be customized to fit easily over your teeth not only makes this device a better fit but also makes it more comfortable to wear. The Zyppah is actually less bulky than some of its competitors. This is a definite plus when an appliance has to be inserted right inside the mouth cavity.
- Unfortunately the Zyppah RX comes in only one size so the fact that this device has less bulk could be easily negated, depending on the size of your mouth.
It would be hard to write a review about the Zyppah without mentioning its striking colours; jet black and lime green! Most mouthpiece manufacturers make a distinct effort to camouflage their product using subdued tones in order to lessen the device’s visual impact.
Realizing the futility of this approach the makers of Zyppah RX have gone in exactly the opposite direction. They’ve decided to jazz up the look of their device and present a product with pizazz.
Have they been successful? Well you will have to be the judge of that but for the more adventurous snorer; the Zyppah RX will have definite appeal.
While nothing beats the tongue retaining style of mouthpiece for combating snoring, the Zyppah comes closer than any other device in the jaw retaining category.
Its design doesn’t ignore the fact that the tongue plays an important role in many snoring problems. For this reason the Zyppah RX gets thumbs up. In a category that has already proven to be effective for a specific type of snoring, the Zyppah has gone one step further.